Become a part of Jane’s Walk on May 6 – 8th
Jane’s Walk is an annual event held on the first weekend of May, which celebrates the ideas and legacy of urbanist Jane Jacobs by getting people out to explore their communities. This year, Jane Jacobs celebrates 100 years!
We are looking to create even more free walking tours led by locals who want to create a space to talk about what matters to the community in the places where they reside. Seattle is home to Jane Jacob’s great niece. She will select a walk each day from the list to attend. It’s always a surprise, so don’t miss out in creating or attending a walk.
Last year over 800 walks were held in 100 cities across 22 countries worldwide. In Seattle alone, we hosted 16 walks in 2015!
This year, we have a goal to increase the number of neighborhood walks to 20 throughout the Puget Sound region. Please help us achieve this goal by leading a walk.
What we need from you:
- Save the date. You can lead a walk on either May 6th, May 7, or May 8th (or all three!).
- Pick a theme. Walk can be anything (architecture, local culture and history, city planning, local cuisine, nature, etc.) as long as it gets people walking, observing their surroundings, and connecting with each other.
- Plan a route. based on important or unique spots in your neighborhood. The walk should not last more than two hours.
- Bring a friend. If your walk gets popular ask a friend to act as a “sweep” and keep the group moving together. (It’s also nice to have someone to take all your photos!)
- Go for depth over breadth. These walks don’t have to cover a wide territory. In fact, it’s best if you draw out details and stories. Again, make sure walk is 2 hours or less.
- Have fun! Add a creative touch to your walk by using props or reading poetry. Feet First will help you partner with local historians or community based organizations in your area to add to your identified points of interest.
There are only two rules:
- Walks should be taken and given for free.
- They should be walking conversations.
Feet First’s role:
- Promote your walks through blogs, newspapers, and social media.
- Help walk leaders partner with local historians, notable members of the community, and organizations.
To register to lead a walk, click here. You will be redirected to the Jane’s Walk website. On this website, please create an account and add your walk to the Seattle/Puget Sound Region. To learn more about leading a walk in the Puget Sound region, contact Akash Arora, Neighborhood Walking Coordinator by emailing email@example.com or calling 206.652.2310 ext. 1.
For more information on Jane’s Walk, visit www.janeswalk.org.