PARK(ing) Day is an international effort to reclaim vehicle parking spaces by temporarily transforming them into miniature urban parks. Started in San Francisco in 2005 by the REBAR arts collective, this community engagement campaign has spread around the world.
In Seattle, Feet First is responsible for organizing community groups, organizations, and individuals for PARK(ing) Day. Last year Seattle had over 60 parks grow out of the street for the event! Feet First anticipates increasing the number of participants for PARK(ing) Day 2011, on Friday, September 16th. We are looking for a qualified coordinator to successfully lead this year’s PARK(ing) Day.
As the PARK(ing) Day Coordinator, you would be responsible for raising awareness of the event among the Seattle community, coordinating with the City of Seattle for permits, communicating with participants, and creating press and information materials, and posting to the website and other social media outlets to gain general awareness and media exposure. The position requires a commitment of approximately 15-20 hours a week for 14 weeks between June 20th and September 23rd. This is an unpaid internship.
- Present to various organizations and groups about PARK(ing) Day
- Coordinate with the City of Seattle (permits, questions, publicity)
- Maintain database of interested parties
- Assist groups in planning and developing individual parks
- Develop outreach, informational, and press materials for the event
- Experience organizing events and handling logistics
- Appreciation of extraordinary ways to incorporate art into human scale design
- Time management skills and ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines.
- Experience working with diverse groups from city officials to neighborhoods groups and arts collectives
- Proficiency with writing and speaking in public
- Software experience includes: MS Word, MS Excel
- Familiarity with graphic design and website management preferred
Apply for this position by sending a cover letter, resume and two references, either by mail or email to:
Lisa Quinn, Executive Director
314 First Avenue South
Seattle WA 98104
Application material is due by Friday, May 13th. No phone calls, please.
More information about Feet First
More information about PARK(ing) Day